1. First, pull everything out. And when I say everything, I mean everything.
These are various piles of all of my clothes pulled out of my closet. I say to pull all of your clothes out because I believe that it is much easier to evaluate and see all that you have, if you can SEE it. I found as I was pulling all of my clothes out that I had a few (or maybe a good bit) of pieces that I hadn't worn in a good while.
2. Next, sort out Winter clothes
I had a few heavy sweaters and Winter pieces that I would not be able to wear anymore since we have had a considerable weather change. So, I sorted those out to put in a box in the attic for next Fall/Winter.
3. Once you weed out your Winter clothes, you'll need to sort into three different piles: keep, throw out/give away, and a pile of clothes that you need to get altered/tailored (or, you may be able to do that yourself. If so, good for you!).
I actually only had two piles: keep, and give away. I didn't have any clothes that were too big, only too small, or I didn't wear them enough. Which brings me to my next point: if there are clothes in your closet that you never wear, give them away! If your never going to wear it, give it to someone who actually will so that it is not collecting dust and taking up space in your closet.
4. Sort your clothes in a way that would be perfect and productive for your closet
|By the way, yes that is my foot. :)|
I sort my shirts by rainbow order. Then within each color, I sort tank tops to sweaters. I sort my completer pieces next by rainbow order, my pants by rainbow order and from shorts to skirts to pants, and lastly I sort my dresses by rainbow order. That way I can find everything that I need in a snap.
5. Put everything back in your closet in your desired order
My order was the exact order that I told you in step four above. I combined some of these steps. This is just the spelled out order of how I did it.
This is my finished product:
A nice clean closet for all of my new Spring clothes! Come back next week on Tuesday to see all of my new Spring clothes!