Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Next Big Thing That I Want to Accomplish

Hello! I was inspired to right this post because I want to encourage you to keep working on your New Year's resolutions, and because I am interested in what some (or all!) of your New Years resolutions are. Like I said in this post, I don't really make resolutions but more like goals. 

The next big thing- or goal -that I want to accomplish would be to run a 5k race. This running journey has been very long. It has taken me around 2 years! 

When I first started getting interested in running, I didn't research anything at all. I did not know how to breathe right, I ran in my backyard because I did not have anyone to run on the street with. and my backyard has a hill and has lots of dirt and weeds. There were many things that I did very wrong, and I had no idea what I was doing.

Probably the only thing that I did right was that I used the Couch 2 5k app. It is an eight week training plan. At first I only got to about week four or five. Because I was bored of my backyard, I didn't know how to breathe or run right, my shins started to get strained as a result of my faulty running, and it started to get colder, I quit. Which is probably the worst thing to do, but I did. 

That was about October of 2013 (approximately, I can't really keep track). I think it was about spring of 2014 that I started the app all over again. I got some people to run/walk with me in my neighborhood instead of trying my backyard again. I finally finished the app and ran a 5k (not an actual race, I just ran it in my neighborhood) around September or October of 2014.

Then, I stopped for just a little bit because it was cold (I really need to suck it up and start running in winter). Now, I am finally on week six again, and am training for my first 5k race! I will run it in May. 

I feel like it has taken me forever, but I am excited that this season is about to change! I have been researching a LOT and have been thinking about what it is going to be like on race day.

I want to encourage you that even though something is taking forever, maybe it's a trial, something that you want to accomplish, or whatever, if you keep on keeping on you will see results. Even though I was awful at persevering I still saw results, and I have made progress.

Do you have any tips or ideas for me as I embark on this new thing? I would love your feedback! What is the next big thing or goal/resolution that you want to accomplish?

4 comments:

  1. What race did you decide to run in May. I would love to run it with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I was looking at the Empower run on May 9th in Irmo. They stil have to post more details like how much registration costs, etc. if they never get more details up, I'll run the Red Bank 5k on May 30th even though May 30th seems a little late.

      Delete
  2. Fun! I think I could run on either one of those days so let me know what you decide and I will register and run with you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Do you have something to say?